L'oiseau rebelle

Love is a rebellious bird that cannot be tamed

Grad School Applications Monday, July 18, 2005

So I've to apply for grad schools this Fall. And hence start researching. Which reminds me, I've got to talk to someone about the application process very soon. And ask a visiting prof with whom I took a class to write a letter of recommendation before he forgets my existence.

But anyway, Step 1: Make a list of schools, and ask for a second opinion. My original list, in no particular order:

Stanford University
Harvard University
Massachusettes Inst. of Technology
California Inst. of Technology
Cornell University
Princeton University
Yale University
Univ. of Michigan - Ann Arbor
New York University
Columbia University

Univ. of Washington
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Univ. of Texas - Austin
Univ. of California - San Diego
Univ. of California - Los Angeles
Univ. of Chicago
Northwestern University
Purdue University
Univ. of Maryland

After consulting for a second opinion, which entailed the question, "Which places are good for algebra, in general?" (Of course algebra is a very diverse field, with group theory, algebraic geometry, algebraic combinatorics, representation theory, and many more,) I struck NYU off the list (it's mainly an applied math place, which I sort of already knew), and there are more places to look at:

Brandeis University
Rutgers University
Ohio State University
Univ. of Illinois - Urbana Champaign
Univ. of Illinois - Chicago
Univ. of Indiana

Obviously I can't apply to all these schools, it'll cost a lot of money, for one. Think I might apply to about ten, to be on the safe side. Now I've got to:
1) Think about which aspect of algebra I would really like to do
2) Wade through all the department websites to see what exactly the faculty does
3) Decide how many "dream schools" and "safety schools" to apply to, which also means I've to consult someone who knows my record.

If you do look at my lists carefully, there's one well-known university that surreptitiously off my list, and a related school, though mentioned, is at the bottom of my considerations. Not because they don't do good math, in fact, from what I hear they do; but I've visited this darn school before, applied to it for undergrad, heard lots of rumors from various sources that confirmed each other about the graduate school (and especially with regards to funding), and I hate the general attitude of the administrators, which basically is, "You should be grateful that you are admitted here, so don't complain when we go about putting a million inconveniences into your life."

If you want a clue, this is also the university that seriously takes 3 weeks to do anything, like reply to emails and posting of final grades. When I applied as an undergrad, I had a question and I could not find the answer anywhere on their website, so I sent them an email. In 3 weeks, I got a reply that said, "You can check out our website for the answer." And it wasn't even a complicated question, a "yes" or "no" will suffice.

This is also the university which I heard is off-limits to some Singapore scholarship boards, not because of any pervading liberal or bond-breaking attitudes, but because the scholarship boards themselves can't stand dealing with the red tape.


L'oiseau rebelle 2:05 PM Permalink | |



PROFILE
Name:
Location: United States






NOT TOO LONG AGO

Weblog Commenting and 

Trackback by HaloScan.com


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com